Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Class of 1988 20th Year Reunion

Guys! I have been trying to create blogs, but my e-mail & password weren't matching... At any rate, it's on now. A lot has happened since March 13-my last blog. Today I will bring you up to speed on the class reunion we had this past Memorial Day weekend. It was the bomb!

The one thing I got from the interaction of planning this was the way people perceive you is not necessarily the way you are, and the way you think you portray yourself is not necessarily the way people perceive you. There are two sayings: I KNOW YOU BELIEVE YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THOUGHT I SAID, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALIZE THAT WHAT YOU HEARD IS NOT WHAT I MEANT. The other saying is: PEOPLE MAY DOUBT WHAT YOU SAY, BUT THEY WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE WHAT YOU DO. Communication is vital to all relationships.

I'm jumping - let me refocus. This weekend was great. Here's an update on the happenings. Friday Night we played Win Lose or Draw-Lakeside Style. Andre & I were the drawers and it was girls against guys. We had to draw people, places, & things associated with being a senior or Lakeside. We had to draw stuff from a diploma to Ms. Reg & Mr. Smith. That was funny & spouses participated too so they didn't feel left out. Saturday, we had to move our site at the park because our reserved areas was flooded out & there was an influx of moccasins!! Not shoes, but SNAKES! I didn't tell everybody why because they probably would have freaked out or not come to the park at all. (Vanessa) :) scary... Two of our former teachers joined us. That was a surprise. Also, on Saturday night @ the banquet, we had a memorial moment piece with a slide show of our deceased classmates & faculty & their family. We played "It's so Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday" by Boys to Men. There were some teary eyes. That was really nice. B Wetzler & R Brown did an awesome job with their "sermonettes". R really has changed and you must know it had to be God. He has a beautiful wife who is so sweet and outgoing. B's wife looks like she did when she graduated.

I have heard nothing but good comments from the people I've talked to, but haven't talked to everyone. I pray that at the next one we will double or triple our attendance. If you have any ideas about how we an do that, please let me know.

Not once did I ask "What are you doing now?". I really don't want to know unless you want to tell me. The purpose of this weekend was to get reacquainted, to reminisce, and to have fun. For many it was a time to show that we have really grown up & all the asinine things that caused us to not speak 15-20 years ago, are in the past and do not matter. We must forget those things that are behind & press forward. I learned that a lot of the issues were caused by miscommunication. Now some were done on purpose, but we were young and dumb-most of us. Bottom line is let it go. :)

The rebuttal to me from one person was: Well I don't want to open myself up to being hurt... the character of a person doesn't change. I beg to differ. It does IF the holy spirit is involved. Give them another chance. I have learned the true meaning of love - it is many things, but most definitely it is being able to forgive others when we are wronged over & over & over again. We must remember that we are not perfect either & will need forgiveness.

Bottom line... Let it go. ;)

No comments: