Wednesday, November 12, 2008

History Made and Other Things!!!

It's been a long time since we've talked. My goodness! Times goes so fast. Let's just recap everything. July I attended a city reunion down home and a family reunion on my husband's side on the North side. I've had a birthday! Happy Birthday to me... My husband & I went to Florida for the 2nd time this year-Orlando. My mother-in-law & her husband went also. She had me shopping. I haven't shopped like that in 5 or 6 years! Her husband was begging the security guard to kick us out a store. I will admit we had been in the store almost 3 hours! This is quite unusual for me. I HATE shopping. I mean hate it. I despise the crowds, lines, bad organization, deceiving sale prices, bad kids running, annoying people who don't put stuff back where they got it from, bothersome salesman that when you need them, you can't find them, etc... BUT this experience was different. I don't know if it was because we were in Florida or what. I had a ball! I spent almost $250 in that one store. The Palisades Resort was awesome! BRAND NEW!!!

I found out my cousin is pregnant AGAIN. This is her 2nd & she's only been married about 2 1/2 years. Better her than me.

Last month I went to Washington State. I had never been to this part of the county before. I had hoped to see a childhood friend & her family, but due to scheduling issues, it didn't work out. Vancouver was absolutely beautiful. This was a conference and maybe it was just the people attending the conference & not the city in general, BUT they're kind of different. They reminded me of the 60's and the love fest. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice experience, but quite different. Just about everyone had on mountain climbing like shoes or mules; no one-I mean no one had on NIKEs, but me. Everyone seem to have a laid back attitude, no worries or concerns, just nonchalant-UNTIL you start to talk about the ozone layer, or endangered species, or recycling or protecting pets from abuse... This is when they get really passionate. I was able to get some great unique ideas for instruction. So mission accomplished.

A long time friend and co-worker retired. She had been working where I work for 30 years & 27 days! That's a long time to be on the same job. I'm sure she had trials & tribulations-some I witnessed, but she endured. She is truly a virtuous woman-professional, Godly, soft spoken... I miss her already. She was our plant doctor. When a plant wasn't looking well in the office, we would put it in the hospital-Mary's office. She'd take it for 2 weeks & it would come back good as new. She has the most beautiful children; all five were at her retirement party-even though 3 live out of state. Family is very important to her and she has instilled that into her children & grandchildren.

This month on November 4, history was made again. Barack Obama was elected as the 44th President of the United States of America. Many felt that one day this would happen, but I think most never thought it would happen in this lifetime & certainly not in this year's election. He is absolutely phenomenal! People and leaders from around the world rejoiced when it was announced. I laughed at those who called me, but I cried too. I was so full. I had this big lump in my throat. When I watched his speech I felt every word he spoke. I saw Oprah in the crowd crying... Jessie Jackson crying... some wondered if he cried because it wasn't him or if it was genuine and he cried because a piece of Martin's dream has been realized. I say a piece because we have yet so far to go...

I cried because I had forgotten or lost sight of what my God can do. All things are possible to him that believe. I guess I had actually stopped believing. I had grown faint and weary. I don't believe I lost hope in God, but in the idea that if you work hard, you would succeed. There have been so many roadblocks to my dream and I've seen so many injustices. I repent... By Barack being elected, my hope has been renewed. I can honestly tell my nephews and niece and other relatives that anything truly can happen, when you believe & work hard-no matter what color you are, no matter where you came from. A local African-American college's president had a baby boy on 11/4 and decided to name him after Barack; the baby's name is Benjamin Barack. It's been reported on CNN that all over the world, people are naming their babies after Barack & many with twins are naming them Michelle & Barack. That's honorable.

It's a new feeling... I feel like it's a new day. It seems the air is different. people I work with seem different, especially those of the lighter persuasion. I've been gone out of state a week & I was thinking that was it, but I don't think so... Whatever the case, what's done is done.

I feel so blessed to have witnessed this historical event, better yet, I feel blessed to have been a part of the process and able to help make it happen by casting my vote for Barack. Many of my counter parts did not vote for him and I really think it was just because of the color of his skin. They claim is was qualifications, but beg to differ. Palin was no more qualified than Barack. I'm going to leave that right there.

I recently found out that a relative of my husband is dating another relative of his. They are totally not related, BUT my husband just thinks this is not right. Let's say, for instance, your mother falls in love with your father-in-law. Just seems strange to my husband. I don't see a problem... I'll have to think on it awhile longer. What if your sister wanted to marry your father in law? would their children be your husband's stepsister or brother or his niece & nephew? :) Just something to think about...

Well, I'd better go. I hope it won't be almost 5 months before we talk again.

No comments: